Persimmon Homes approached DMS in 2016 for support in procuring an innovative managed print solution and to achieve ‘digital transformation’ in order improve their internal document control processes. Through initial consultation with them, we identified that they were facing the following key challenges:
- Cost overrun: PH were facing the challenge of overrunning costs due to the lack of efficiency within their printing estate and having multiple contracts with different suppliers. Due to this, we were initially tasked by them to secure cost savings of £750,000.
- Unsustainable printing behaviours: PH were facing the challenge of a lack of efficiency and also negative environmental impact due to unsustainable staff printing behaviours. For example, colour printing rates were higher than they needed to be among staff and the client, at the time, had no way of effectively rectifying this.
- Complexity/ managing multiple contracts: Each PH office was using their own independent solution and products, meaning that the client was managing multiple leases and contracts with different suppliers. This was causing unneeded complexity and inefficiency for the client. It was also making it harder for them to monitor manage printing behaviours across the full suite of offices.
Thanks to our expertise and our innovative managed print service, we were able to offer a solution that could be applied across PH’s multiple sites to control their reprographics equipment in a unified and integrated fashion. Designed and implemented by team of experts in the delivery of managed print services, our solution has supported them to achieve integration, quality and consistency for users across their fleet of device.
In delivering a solution for PH, we followed our tried and tested ‘customer journey’ from Discover Phase to Implementation, as outlined below:
DMS Solution – from Discovery to Implementation
Based on our 25+ years’ experience of delivering excellent managed services and digital transformation for our customers, we have a tried and test ‘end to end’ process in place for implementing our solutions. Our process with PH involved providing input from Consultation right through to the Implementation and install of solutions, followed by ongoing management. Driven by
our Directors, Pre-sales Consultants and Installation Teams, our process ensures projects are scoped and delivered accurately on time and every time.
To ensure the project was scoped accurately, we provide an extensive initial Discovery Phase to ‘understand’ PH’s current situation, their vision for transformation and address the challenges they were facing. As part of Pre-Sales package, we delivered an in-depth audit and site survey which mapped and scoped all existing infrastructure, devices and the digital environment.
Through our Discovery Phase, our Pre-Sales Consultants and described in detail the state of the document environment. They complied a comprehensive report, including details of technical issues, maps of the physical location of all output devices and opportunities to increase document effectiveness and efficiency.
This also scoped:
We also looked very closely at environmental impact, including the energy being used by photocopiers through heat generation, to recommend more sustainable technology.
Our survey confirmed the Total Cost of Ownership as a basis for highlighting any potential cost savings, reductions and efficiencies. At this stage, we also worked closely with the customer to confirm any existing contact liabilities that affected them in switching to DMS.io improve accuracy of the solution, we also provided:
- Digital Infrastructure Assessments
- Digital Experience Assessments
- Discovery sessions to gain input from customer staff
Once this process was complete and the solution was agreed with PH, we outlined a full Statement of Works (SOW) and delivery plan. This outlined the timescales, responsibilities and overall plan for implementing the managed service solution. To ensure delivery to the customers required timescales, as part of the SLA we committed to an agreed delivery schedule that was designed to reduce and disruption to their working environment. Our Service Director, Jamie Harris, effectively planned and coordinated installs, ensuring delivery to timescales through closely monitoring our installation teams progress and using Prince-2 Project Management Methodology.
Innovation and added value
To maximise innovation and improve the quality of the products for the client, the ‘key pillars’ of our solution included:
Providing the Develop Ineo range
To provide an excellent managed print solution, we upgraded the client’s hardware to the Develop Ineo range of printers to achieve the following benefits:
- Enhanced life span and quality of end-user experience.
- Simple and intuitive user experience
- Multi-touch operation similar to smartphone or tablet
- Convenient mobile usability
- Direct integration of timesaving solutions
- High speed scanning with Dual scan document feeder
- Automatic paper detection
- Flexible finishing and media versatility
- Comprehensive range of security features
- Antivirus scan engine from Bitdefender®
- Improved air filtration through Air Cleaning Units
- Low energy consumption and outstanding eco performance
Directly benefitting PH’s office environments, we selected this solution because the new ineo i-Series is the fastest ever range, boosting workflow and cutting out waiting times for the client. Thanks to the new 4 Core Central Processing Unit, it is 4 x faster than previous ineo+ models. PH have been able to benefit from the new controller, which integrates all processes and distributes tasks more effectively within the Central Processing Unit. As a result, their user experience is now smoother and quicker and there is zero waiting time while operating the ineo i-Series. In addition, with the new media sensor, paperweight detection is automatic, and the correct settings are reliably applied every time. Enhancing convenience for PH staff, this has allowed them to avoid setting mistakes and minimise paper jams.
Providing Papercut MF
To meet the clients managed print requirements, we recommended PaperCut MF print management software as a key element of our innovative solution. This is because PaperCut MF allows the client to monitor and control print output with simple, easy to use administrative tools that can be accessed anywhere on the network.
From our implementation of PaperCut we have supported the client to achieve the following significant benefits, including:
- Reduction of overall printing costs through job filtering, enforcing quotas and generating direct cost recovery.
- We have set rules within PaperCut MF to encourage black and white printing instead of colour, this has been the driving factor around the cost savings we have achieved for the client (In excess of £1.5milllion)
- Although their overall print volumes have increased, from encouraging black & white printing which is 10x cheaper, we have consistently saved them money
- By tracking activity granularly, it has encouraged sustainable behaviours by putting the accountability for printing output onto individual users and departments.
- It has provided sustainability benefits through increasing environmental awareness, including drawing the users’ attention towards the impact of their specific usage.
- It has improved efficiency by allowing PH administrators to create rules that can steer printing to designated printers for load balancing. As well as implementing ‘follow me’ printing and redirecting print jobs based on defined criteria.
- It has improved efficiency as it requires the user to log-in to the device to start their job. This means staff do not have to sift through hundreds of sheets of, potentially confidential, documents printed by a fellow colleague to find their documents.
- It has improved security as nothing prints until the person that pressed print goes to collect their job and confirms their identity through NFC authentication technology. This also helps encourage responsible behaviours.
- To provide added value for our client and go ‘above and beyond’ to ensure they could make the most of our innovative solution, we provided;
- Free and unlimited technical training: We have provided free and unlimited follow-up training for their staff on all aspects of our solution. Training has been delivered in a range of formats, including virtually and face to face, by experts in the Develop and Papercut MF solutions.
- Pre-configuration service: To streamline the installation process and minimise disruption to their staff, we fully pre-configure all devices to individual Persimmon Homes site requirements before installations. This includes customising security settings and installing any third-party software or hardware. Reducing complexity for their IT teams and end-users, this means that the devices arrive at their site pre-configured with minimal to no further customisation required. This has also reduced the risk of downtime and disruption to office staff.
Since the beginning of our partnership with PH, from implementing our unique solutions, we have delivered significant cost savings and efficiencies for them. Our key achievements have been:
- Streamlining their contracts: After working with PH to understand the challenges they were facing, we supported them in ‘dovetailing’ their existing contracts into an arrangement with a single solution (Develop and PaperCutMF). This has maximised consistency and quality for their staff and end-users, as well as providing them with significant cost savings.
- Cost savings: Through providing a single lease for equipment, we have overachieved on our cost savings target for them by 100%. Having been initially tasked by them to secure cost savings of £750,000, through implementing Develop ineo and PaperCut MF solutions, we have saved them excess of £1,500,000.
- Efficiencies: We have provided them with efficiency, innovation and sustainability through implementing PaperCut MF solutions. Since implementing this solution, we have supported them to reinforce sustainable printing behaviours, reduce costs, monitor/control user activity and reduce negative environmental impact. We have also reduced disruption for them through implementing our remote monitoring solutions, including VantageOnline and Print Audit. These have allowed us to effectively monitor their fleet and ensure replacement cartridges are shipped when they are running low on consumables, avoiding unnecessary downtime.